Catnip Tea: What Is It Good For?
Catnip tea is a herbal tea made from the leaves and stems of the Nepeta cataria plant, commonly known as Catnip. Catnip tea has been a part of traditional herbal medicine for centuries and is known for its calming, soothing and stress relieving effects.
Benefits of Catnip Tea
Catnip tea is known for its many health benefits, including:
- Relief of anxiety and stress: Catnip tea can help to reduce anxiety and stress levels, making it a great choice for those who struggle with regular bouts of chronic stress and anxiety.
- Relief of stomach issues: Catnip tea can help to relieve common digestive issues such as nausea, vomiting, indigestion, and constipation, making it a great remedy for those who frequently suffer from stomach upsets.
- Relief of headaches and migraines: Catnip tea is known to have anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great home remedy for headaches and migraines.
How To Make Catnip Tea
Making catnip tea is very simple and can be done in just a few steps:
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pot or kettle.
- Place one teaspoon of dried catnip leaves in the hot water and steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add honey or lemon if desired.
Side Effects of Catnip Tea
While catnip tea is generally safe to drink, it is important to be aware of the potential side effects. These can include:
- Drowsiness: Catnip tea can make you feel drowsy, so it is best to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery after consuming it.
- Upset stomach: Catnip tea may cause stomach discomfort in some people, so it is best to limit your intake.
- Allergic reaction: Catnip tea can cause an allergic reaction in some people, so it is important to introduce it slowly and stop drinking it if any signs of an allergic reaction occur.
Catnip tea is a popular herbal remedy with many potential health benefits. However, it is important to be aware of the potential side effects and to always consult with a healthcare professional before taking any herbal remedies.