Afternoon Tea for Beginners
When it comes to social tea drinking experiences, afternoon tea is a long standing tradition. Afternoon tea consists of a light meal with traditional elements to indulge in. Whether you’ve never had afternoon tea or you’re looking to experience it again, here’s your guide to all the sweet and savory afternoon tea options.
Savory treats make up the first half of the afternoon tea experience. Savory options usually include:
- Sandwiches – Egg and watercress, cucumber, and smoked salmon are some of the popular options
- Tarts – Includes a variety of flavors from spinach to mushroom
- Scones – Usually served warm and with clotted cream
Satisfy your sweet tooth with a variety of desserts served alongside your traditional afternoon tea. These include:
- Pastries – Mini puff pastries, Madeleines, tartelettes, or palmiers
- Cakes – Victoria Sponge cake and Carrot cake are some of the options
- Cookies – Including biscuits, macaroons and chocolate dipped cookies
In true afternoon tea experience, you can’t forget the tea! Enjoy a variety of tea infused flavors such as:
- Black – Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Darjeeling
- Green – Gunpowder, Jasmine
- Herbal – Chamomile, Rooibos
And there you have it, a breakdown of the essential elements of an afternoon tea. Wherever you’re looking for an afternoon tea experience, this guide should help you enjoy the sweet and savory elements that make up this timeless tradition.