Why Licorice Root Tea is Good for Your Health
Most people are familiar with licorice, the sweet treat that has become a beloved delicacy all over the world. But did you know that licorice also has many medicinal benefits? The root of the licorice plant, also known as Glycyrrhiza glabra, has been used for centuries for its calming, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral properties, making it a popular ingredient in teas, tinctures, and supplements. Drinking licorice root tea is an easy and delicious way to take advantage of all the health benefits of licorice.
What Are the Benefits of Licorice Root Tea?
- Helps digestion: Licorice root has long been used to treat digestive ailments such as indigestion, stomachaches, and bloating.
- Helps relieve stress: Licorice root tea has been used to relieve stress, fatigue, and insomnia.
- Boosts immunity: Licorice root has antiviral properties and can help bolster your immune system against colds, flu, and other infections.
- Soothe skin: Licorice root is known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which can help soothe irritated skin.
- Regulate hormones: Licorice root tea may help with the production of hormones such as cortisol and testosterone.
How Do I Make Licorice Root Tea?
Making licorice root tea is extremely simple. All you need is licorice root tea bags or loose leaf licorice root, hot water, and a mug. To make a cup of licorice root tea, simply put one licorice root tea bag (or 1 teaspoon of loose leaf) in a mug, add 8 ounces of hot water and let steep for 5 minutes. You can also add honey, lemon, or other natural sweetener to taste.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Drinking licorice root tea is generally considered safe, but it can have some side effects such as headaches, muscle cramps, and increased blood pressure. People with pre-existing health conditions, pregnant or nursing mothers, and children in particular should speak to their doctor before consuming licorice root tea.
Licorice root tea has been used for centuries for its numerous health benefits. It can help with digestion, stress relief, immune boosting, skin soothing, and hormone regulation. Making licorice root tea is simple, and drinking it is a tasty way to take advantage of the health benefits of licorice root. Before consuming licorice root tea, however, you should consult your doctor to make sure it is right for you.