What is Sweet Tea Made of?
Sweet tea is a popular iced tea beverage served in the Southern United States. It is usually made with lots of sugar, giving it a deliciously sweet taste that people love.
Sweet tea consists of several simple ingredients:
- Tea: Typically, black tea is used. Any brand of black tea will work, although some restaurants and individuals may have their preference when it comes to a specific type or flavor of tea.
- Water: The water used to make sweet tea can be cold or warm. The type of water used can affect the taste, so filtered or bottled spring water is generally preferred.
- Sugar: The more sugar you add, the sweeter the tea will be. Some recipes call for simple syrup instead for a smoother flavor.
- Lemon: Adding lemon is a common way to make the flavor of sweet tea more complex and is often included in sweet tea recipes.
Making sweet tea is easy, and can be done following these steps:
- Boil two quarts of water in a large pot or tea urn.
- Add several tea bags (or loose tea leaves) to the boiling water, depending on the size of the pot.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the desired strength of tea is reached.
- Remove the tea bags (or strain out the loose tea leaves).
- Add sugar to sweeten the tea. Start with a quarter cup and add more as needed.
- Add a few slices of lemon for flavor, if desired.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, allow the tea to cool before serving.
- Serve over ice, and enjoy!
With a few simple ingredients and instructions, you can easily make a delicious pitcher of sweet tea at home.