What is Thai Iced Tea?
Thai iced tea is a traditional Thai beverage consisting of a strongly brewed black tea, combined with condensed milk and sugar. It has a unique and distinctive flavor that has become popular around the world.
Thai iced tea is made with a few simple ingredients:
- Tea: Typically, a strong black tea, typically Assam or Ceylon tea is used
- Milk: Sweetened condensed milk is used to bring a creamy texture and sweetness
- Sugar: Cane sugar or other types of sugar is added for sweetness
- Ice: Generally, crushed ice is used to bring the beverage to a cold temperature
- Flavorings: Commonly, Thai iced tea will have flavorings such as vanilla, cardamom, star anise, cloves, or lychee added to the drink.
To make Thai iced tea, the tea is steeped in hot water until it has a strong, dark color. Then, the tea is strained and combined with condensed milk and sugar, and finally, crushed ice is added. This can be done by hand or with an electric frother or blender. The tea is usually topped with a sprinkle of flavorings such as cardamom or star anise.
Thai iced tea is typically served cold in a tall glass, with a straw. You can sweeten the tea to taste, or add ice as needed to make it colder. It’s a great thirst quencher on a hot summer day, and it’s delicious on its own or as part of a larger meal.
Thai iced tea is a refreshing and unique beverage with a flavor unlike any other. It is a unique mix of strong tea and sweet condensed milk, and it is easy to make and can be enjoyed any time of the day. So, the next time you find yourself in need of a cold and delicious treat, give Thai iced tea a try!