What is the TEAS Exam for Nursing?
The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) is an assessment for anyone who wishes to become a nurse or join a nursing program. It is composed of four sections that measure the knowledge and skills necessary for success in nursing school or in the nursing profession. The four content areas covered by the test are Reading, Mathematics, Science, and English and Language Usage.
TEAS Reading Section
The reading section of the TEAS exam evaluates the applicant’s ability to read and comprehend complex materials. It includes questions on:
- Paragraph comprehension – The ability to read and understand a passage of text.
- Informational source comprehension – The ability to read and comprehend text from various source types like research materials, illustrations and graphs.
- Vocabulary acquisition – The ability to understand and use unfamiliar words.
TEAS Mathematics Section
The mathematics section of the TEAS exam assesses the applicant’s ability to apply mathematical concepts in a variety of ways. Topics covered include:
- Arithectic – Operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Algebra – Variables, equations, and linear equations.
- Statistics – Data analysis, means and modes.
- Measurement and Geometry – Calculation of volume, angles, and shapes.
TEAS Science Section
The science section evaluates the applicant’s knowledge and comprehension of basic scientific principles. These principles include:
- Human body science – Anatomy, physiology, nutrition and pharmacology.
- Life and physical sciences – Biology, chemistry, physics and earth science.
- Scientific Reasoning – Experiment design and data collection.
TEAS English and Language Usage Section
The English and language usage section evaluates the applicant’s ability to understand and apply basic grammar, grammar mechanics and syntax. It covers topics such as:
- Spelling – Identification of commonly misspelled words, homonyms, words with multiple meanings, and structure.
- Grammar – Sentences, sentence structure and parts of speech.
- Punctuation – Punctuation, sentence structure and syntax.
The TEAS exam is required by many nursing programs as a way to assess the applicant’s knowledge and abilities prior to admission. Preparing for the TEAS requires a lot of studying and practice, but with sufficient preparation, the exam can be passed successfully.