Benefits of Drinking Tea While Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding is an important part of parenting for many mothers, but deciding on the best beverages to drink while doing so can be a dilemma. Fortunately, tea is a good choice for breastfeeding moms, conveying many tea-rrific benefits.
Nutrition for Baby, and Mom
Tea can provide some important nutrients for breastfeeding mothers. Tea is a source of beneficial plant compounds, antioxidants, and mainerals, including:
- Flavonoids: Antioxidant-packed compounds that can help protect against cell damage.
- Manganese: A mineral needed to create energy, create and repair tissues, and help with brain function.
- Potassium: A mineral needed for normal cell function and healthy heart rate and blood pressure.
- Magnesium: A mineral required for the proper functioning of your cells, tissues and organs.
Tea is also naturally caffeine-free and low in calories, making it an excellent beverage choice for breastfeeding moms looking to maintain their health and energy level.
Calm for Both Baby and Mom
In addition to its physical benefits, tea can also bring psychological benefits for mothers when breastfeeding. Many teas contain l-theanine, an amino acid that induces relaxed alertness. By drinking tea during breastfeeding, mothers can tap into the calm and alertness which may help to produce feelings of wellbeing.
Tips for Safely Enjoying Tea While Breastfeeding
While tea is a generally safe and healthy beverage option for nursing mothers, there are a few important tips to keep in mind:
- Choose caffeine-free teas, such as fruit tea, rooibos, or herbal tea.
- For caffeinated teas, limit your intake to no more than 300mg per day.
- Avoid teas touted as weight loss aids or designed to increase milk supply, as there’s no scientific evidence that these products are safe for babies.
- Be mindful of sweeteners, such as honey, which should not be given to infants.
- Before introducing any new foods or beverages, always consult with your doctor.
Tea can be a great addition to a breast-feeding mom’s diet. Not only can it provide tasty hydration, but it can also bring numerous nutrition benefits and calming benefits. Just be sure to make mindful and safe beverage choices, and you and your baby can be well on your way to tea-rrific health!