Tea During Pregnancy
Being pregnant is a special and exciting time. Women want to be sure they are making the best health choices they can while growing their baby. One of the most common questions is what types of tea are safe to drink during pregnancy. Here is a look at some of the types of tea that are safe to drink while pregnant.
Herbal teas can provide many beneficial health benefits. Women can enjoy herbal teas such as:
- Ginger Tea – This tea can help soothe indigestion, nausea and morning sickness.
- Peppermint Tea – Peppermint tea can help with digestion, bloating and calming the nerves.
- Lemon Balm Tea – This tea can aid in relaxation and can help with restful sleep.
Having a cup of caffeinated tea can be enjoyable during pregnancy as well, but there are some things to keep in mind. Doctors typically suggest that pregnant women limit their caffeine intake to 200 mg per day, which is equivalent to two cups of coffee. Some caffeinated teas that are safe to drink while pregnant include:
- Green Tea – This tea provides many health benefits and can be enjoyed sweetened or unsweetened.
- White Tea – This tea has less caffeine than other teas, making it a safer choice while pregnant.
- Black Tea – Knowing that it is high in caffeine, women may want to switch to decaf black tea as an alternative.
When drinking any type of tea, it is important to drink it in moderation. This can help ensure that the body is not taking in too much caffeine. Women should also pay close attention to the ingredients on the label, as well as where the tea was sourced from. Following these simple steps can help keep mothers and their babies safe and healthy.