What tea helps with constipation?
Constipation is an uncomfortable condition that affects millions of people. Many turn to teas in an effort to ease their symptoms. The good news is that certain varieties of tea can be beneficial for relieving discomfort associated with constipation.
Which Teas Help to Relieve Constipation?
When it comes to teas that are beneficial for constipation, there are several varieties to consider.
- Senna tea: This tea is made from the leaves and fruit of the senna plant. Senna tea contains sennosides, which act as a mild stimulant laxative. It works by irritating the lining of the intestines and encouraging contractions until bowel movements are passed.
- Chamomile tea: Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce swelling and discomfort experienced with constipation. It also has mild sedative and relaxing effects, which can help soothe cramps and stress.
- Ginger tea: Ginger contains germicidal and antispasmodic elements which can help decrease intestinal muscle tension so the stool can pass more easily. It also helps to reduce nausea and bloating.
Other Ways to Relieve Constipation
There are also several other strategies to help relieve constipation including:
- Drinking plenty of water to help soften stool
- Involving in regular physical activity
- Eating fiber rich-foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Limiting intake of processed, high-sugar foods
- Taking natural laxatives such as prunes and psyllium husk
So if you’re experiencing constipation, you may find relief in incorporating some of these teas into your daily routine. Remember, it is always a good idea to speak to your doctor before starting a new natural remedy.