Tea to Combat Depression and Anxiety
Depression and anxiety are mental health issues prevalent around the world. Symptoms can range from stress, sadness, low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts, and even impaired physical health. Although it is important to discuss these symptoms with a medical professional, one soothing and popular way to help cope with anxiety and depression is through tea.
Tea with Natural Antidepressants and Anxiolytics
There are various types of tea with natural antidepressant and anxiolytic effects that can help alleviate feelings of depression and anxiety:
- Green Tea contains powerful antioxidants, amino acids, and L-theanine to reduce stress levels and stimulate cognitive functioning.
- Chamomile Tea has sedative effects that may reduce mild cases of depression and anxiety. This makes it a great tea to enjoy before bedtime.
- Lavender Tea is relaxing and soothing, and can help decrease feelings of stress.
- Ginger Tea has anti-inflammatory and calming effects that can help reduce feelings of sadness.
- Licorice Tea has medicinal properties to help treat depression and anxiety. This tea should be consumed in moderation as it has a high glycemic index.
Tea and Mood Regulation
Tea has long been a favorite beverage for many cultures. It’s an easy, comforting and calming choice of beverage that can help provide some relief from symptoms of depression and anxiety.
When choosing a tea for depression and anxiety, consider one with natural antidepressant or anxiolytic effects — such as the above. Chemicals in green, chamomile, lavender, ginger, and licorice tea can help improve mood, reduce stress, and stimulate cognitive functioning.
Enjoying a cup of tea every day can be a soothing and effective way to manage symptoms of depression and anxiety.
If feelings of depression and anxiety persist, it’s important to consult with a medical professional.