What is a Tea Towel?
A tea towel is a piece of cloth used to dry utensils, dishes, and glassware after washing. It can absorb more liquid than a paper towel, and is both reusable and less wasteful, making it a great kitchen essential for all eco-friendly households.
Different Types of Tea Towels
Not all tea towels are alike! Depending on your needs, there are many types of tea towels available on the market:
- Flour Sack: Flour sack tea towels are light and absorbent, making them perfect for drying dishes and glassware that can only handle gentle drying. They usually come unhemmed at the edges.
- Terry Cloth: Terry cloth tea towels are highly absorbent and durable, making them a favorite for drying heavier loads of dishes and utensils. They’re also great for using in the kitchen as a cleaning cloth.
- Linen: Linen tea towels are strong and lint-free, making them perfect for baking and preserving delicate ingredients. They’re also a great option for adding a decorative touch to your kitchen.
- Printed: Printed tea towels often feature colorful, unique designs that add a touch of personality to any kitchen. They’re also perfect for gifting and special occasions.
Care and Maintenance
Tea towels require some basic care and maintenance to keep them in good shape:
- Wash tea towels after each use to avoid cross-contamination.
- Avoid fabrics softeners and bleach to ensure the tea towels last as long as possible.
- Hang tea towels to air-dry or dry them on a tumble-dry low heat setting.
- Store tea towels in a drawer or other dry location.
Tea towels are an important part of the kitchen. Whether you use them for drying dishes, cleaning up spills, or adding a decorative touch to your kitchen, having a few on hand is essential. With so many different types available, finding the perfect tea towel for your needs shouldn’t be a problem!